Monday, June 16, 2008

Flubber, Not Blubber

This past weekend, Ben and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary. We planned a whole little weekend in San Fr.ancisco, and were really looking forward to it. On Saturday, I picked him up from the tire store and we checked into a hotel down by the wharf. Then we ate at Hoot.ers (Do not judge me, we love, love, love wings). I then managed to convince him to talk my nightly walk with me (I am being a good pregnant girl and taking my 30+ minute walk every night). We walked down to P.ier 39 to see (and smell) the sea lions. He let me go in the marine mammal store, and I bought the first thing for the baby! We got a penguin bib and a book about Chip.py, the wayward sea lion. They had such cute little baby shirts, we agreed to go back when we learn the sex of the baby (meaning that I announced I would return to buy a shirt or two at that time, and he didn't challenge me).

On Sunday we were scheduled to go whale watching. We paid for the expedition cruise out to the Fara.llone Isla.nds, about 26 miles off the coast of the City. I was sooo excited, given the possibility to see blue whales. So up at 6 am we were, and at the harbor by 7:30, and on our way by 8, all bundled up and eager.

Once we got out of the SF Bay, the water got really calm, and we assumed it would be a great trip. About a mile later, the waves were huge and the wind had picked up. It was HORRIBLE. The captain had slowed the boat way down, and about 10 people were seasick. Ben tried to get me to eat some cheerios, since I was doing ok. My doctor had ok'ed taking Dram.amine, so my nausea was not so bad...until I went in the cabin. It was so stuffy and hot in there, I just couldn't take it. I had to go back on deck where all the pukers were. About 30 minutes later, the naturalist came around to say that we were turning around as the waves and wind were only picking up, and so many people were very seasick, and we were only about halfway to the Islands. It was 11:30 and we were only halfway there. The waves were just too big to see anything, and they were only going to get worse. I have to admit, I was turning green around the gills myself, and most likely the pregnancy nausea didn't help.

So it was a rather disappointing trip. :( We did get a nice little cruise along the coastline and around the Bay. The highlights of the day were the red fur seal and some harbor porpoises. The birdwatchers on board were thrilled by a pair of black oyster catchers and some pigeon gillemonts, which will most likely excite a certain birdwatching friend of mine, Great Blue Heron. :) Alas, there were no whales of any sort to be seen.

It was nice to spend the time with my husband, of course. :) Especially since this is the last anniversary that it will be just the two of us. We agreed that we would try to go again, maybe later in the summer when the weather is nicer. It was interesting to explore the coast a little, as well as the Bay. All in all, I don't really feel as though we were gipped, it just wasn't what was expected.

No comments: