Thursday, January 6, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 5

Day 5: Something you hope to do in your life.

I have always wanted to get my PhD. I love science. I mean, I big red fat puffy heart science. I was born to be a research scientist. I love forming new ideas. I love collecting data and go over and over and over it until my eyes are blurry, just to figure out what it all means.

After my finishing up my Master's degree, I was burn out. I was so tired of the administrative side of school. All I wanted to do was science. I love taking new science classes. I love the discipline. But I was so tired and just done for the moment. I wanted to get married and move to the next chapter of my life, a chapter that did not involve school.

Now...now, I am aching to get back into a lab, into a library, into a classroom. I am ready to take on this goal fully and wholeheartedly. It's who I am, what I am meant to do.

I have other goals, other things that I want to accomplish. I want another child. I want to buy a house. I want to go shark diving. I want to ride in a hot air balloon. I want to travel, go back to Europe. I want to see a blue whale.

The goals I have..I know some of them aren't meant to come true, but they give me much to work toward, to dream about. And one that I hope I achieve is earning my PhD, and I am working very had to make the goal more and more a reality each day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you!! I am a researcher at heart, too, and decided to get married and start a family instead of getting my PhD. We've got a lot in common!

I don't regret doing that, at ALL, but I have taken steps to get back to the science and research that I love... I start my clinical research training, next week! For "lab geeks" like us, just being in the lab environment is such a rush, isn't it?

So glad you've set the goals for yourself, and I know you'll reach them in due time!

(Shoot... I don't think I've updated my google account to show my current info, but it's Dre from lifeonatightrope.com / @WalkTheRope! xoxo)

Stacie said...

I work in clinical research for cancer trials. I have been doing it for almost 6 years, and I love it more and more all the time.

That's so great that you are so passionate about research, and you know what you want to do.

I have a HUGE obsession with sharks and have since I was a teen. I want to go in a shark cage. People think I'm crazy.

andrea said...

i so understand! i am not even done wiht my masters yet and already planning for that phD in the future!

LabMom said...

Oh girl.. if you want to DO science and not lament about science, don't get a PhD. That is all grant writing and mumbo jumbo.

Take your masters and be a bench scientist like moi! :D Research Technicians FTW!!

(plus better hours and better pay!)