Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wanna Be A Crawler?

Ok, first things first: When did it get to be Fall? Or in California's case, where did my Fall go and why did we skip straight to Winter rainy season? Seriously, it seems like 3 weeks ago it was over 100 degrees and Isaac was wearing shorts (Note: It actually was 3 weeks ago that it was this temperature, and I don't wear shorts because I hate my knees).


Anyway, I HAVE A MOBILE BABY!


Yesterday I received a text message from my husband at home with Isaac saying "where's the camcorder?" I responded with the location and inquired as to the need. I got this response: "Guess who's crawling?"


Instantly, I cursed the fact that I had decided to come into work for a half day (since I had to skip Friday because my daycare lady was sick and closed) and begged for him to set up the webcam. He did. And as soon as he put the laptop on the floor across from Isaac, the little man took off toward it on all fours.


I have never been so proud and so sad at the same time. I started to cry. I was so happy that after weeks of teetering and rocking back and forth on his hands and knees and scooting backwards, my sweet baby finally figured out how to to crawl. I was sad because it was just one more way my sweet baby was no longer reliant on me and was growing up way too fast.


I watched him for about 30 minutes as he crawled around his play area, as did both sets of grandparents. When I went home, he crawled up a storm for me on our hallway rug and in his room. And then again in our dining room, where he discovered the wine rack and reached for the bottles. It was promptly moved to the basement (where it should probably be anyway) and so the babyproofing begins.


Every unused outlet now has a Precious Planet outlet cover in it. Corners are covered with rounded edges. And baby gates must be purchased to contain this roving baby who is thoroughly enjoying his new found freedom.

He slept like a log last night, and woke up once because he had gas. (I know it was gas because he has started on brocolli. And he has decided he hates drinking anything now. We have to force him to drink. And we he woke up, screaming in gas pain, I was transported back to the days of newbornness in which he used to scream from gas on those days that his nouveau mommy indlugled herself in heaps of chocolate and caffeine and garlic. ) Hopefully, this new stage of movement also marks one of sleeping through the night oh please dear god!!!!!!!

And he still remembered how to crawl this morning. :) He got on all fours and started rocking, and then it was like a light went off saying "oh wait! I figured this out yesterday!" Off he went. :)

He also has been in sitting up by himself for a while. Every time I go to his crib in the morning, there he sits! It is so cute to watch. He rolls from back to stomach to all fours and then swings his leg out and plops his bottom down. That has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

AND...

this morning he crawled over to his little bench and proceeded to grab on and try to hoist himself into standing. Sigh. Time for the walker? He loves to stand up and hold onto things. We have been doing that for a bout a week and he is not so wobbly anymore. He was trying to stand from his sitting position, rolling underneath his jumperoo and trying to hoist himself up from there. No go.

I have a feeling that is about to change. :)

Watch out warning for my kitty cats! Here comes Isaac! :)

4 comments:

Nanette said...

That's awesome!!!

CJ said...

Hey Sara, what took you so long to post this time. I've missed reading yoru blog!

Stacie said...

Congratulations on Isaac's mobility! Let the good times roll.

Open Roads Mama said...

awww, I can't believe your son is already crawling! what a milestone!!!