Monday, March 2, 2009

Musings of a New Mother

This post is really just composed of random things I have learned and experienced as a new mom, in no particular order.

-Isaac has hit a growth spurt causing him to want to eat every 2 hours exactly.Sometimes at night I can hold him off for about 3-3.5 hours but that is it. I try to get to him before his whimpers turn into full blown shrieks of hunger. I was really enjoying breastfeeding, but it is starting to take its toll on me. My breasts HURT. I am seeking out a support group.

-My priorities as sson as I can put the baby down are: bathroom, food, sleep, shower, clean. Usually I make it to the sleep portion, but sadly it usually comes before food. It is very tying for me because I know I have to eat in order to make more milk for Isaac but I am sooooo tired sometimes. There are days that I don't eat until 2 pm. And those are the days that are harder because the baby is more fussy because he isn't getting enough milk. It is frustrating for us both.

-Bassinet sleeping is going ok....Since he is eating every two hours, he eats for about 45 minutes (both sides) and then it takes him about 15 minutes to fall asleep. However....he has a bit of bad gas at night so he usually wakes himself up after about 10 minutes because it hurts and he is scared. I give him mylicon after he is done eating so that helps a bit. So by the time the gas is gone and he is asleep again, he only sleeps for about 30-45 minutes before he is hungry again. The pediatrician says this is normal. The times he doesn't have gas, when I put him down he sleeps for about 15-20 minutes before he realizes I am not holding him. I usually pick him up and we try again. I do this for about 3-4 hours before I give up to my fatigue and hold him for the rest of the night so we can both sleep. I know it is not optimal but seriously....I can't take care of my child if I haven't slept at all.

-I have learned to do many things with one hand: go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, prepare and eat food, load the dishwasher, pack Ben's lunch, clean and set up the coffee machine, change clothes, clean the cat bowls and feed them....even more so, I can do most of these things with my LEFT hand only.

-More miracle baby products: the noise machine attached to my packnplay. Isaac loves the sound of running water. And not that I don't love to pace the kitchen for hours with the sink blasting. I finally put batteries in this little noise machine the other day because I want him to start laying in the pnp during the day if possible. IT MAKES A RUNNING WATER SOUND! and even better, it comes off the pnp and can go anywhere. It fits on his cosleeper. Another magnificent product: the baby sling. Isaac is probably only about 8 pounds. He doesn't really fit well into the bjorn carriers and doesn't have the control of his head that I would want him to have in that type of carrier. If we are walking somewhere he is fine, but just around the house...not so much. The sling = AMAZING. and I can switch sides with it.

-I am pumping once a day...first thing in the morning. Isaac takes one side and usually that is enough. Note: this is usually after we have slept for a solid 3+ hours, so I am FULL. I pump the other side and almost always get a full 3 ounces. I tired pumping one afternoon and I got about 2 ounces but it screwed up the feeding schedule and he had to take a bottle that evening. Every bottle he takes right now breaks my heart. I have to have Ben give it to him because I can't watch.

-Nick at Nite is my new best friend. God bless the 8 hours of Geo.rge Lo.pez, Fam.ily Ma.tters, Fre.sh Prin.ce, Hom.e Im.prov.ement, and Ros.eanne.

-Back to bassinet sleeping. I have been told time and time again, that it just takes time for it to happen. Some suggestions were the cosleeper, which isdefinately working better than the actually bassinet, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, the noise machine, and putting a hat on him. The general theory other than hunger waking him is cold. Any other thoughts? PLEASE? :)

ok that is all for now. My 45 minutes is up. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey lady Ethan gets a lot of gas too so we use the drops at every feeding especially the ones before bed. Our dr said it was fine. It made a pretty good difference.

Also, we moved to lactose free formula and that really made the largest impact. He sleeps so much better. Enfamil makes one. You might want to check to see if he is having problems with the fat in your breastmilk. This is often overlooked by the drs because it can be really hard to pick up on. Enfamil and Simalic both have a reduced lactose formula as well sensitive stomach and gentlease. You might want to get some info on it. We tried these first and they helped but the total lactose free is working best for Ethan. It takes 7-14 days to tell. Ethan is perfectly healthy on the formula too nothing to feel bad about some babies just have a hard time with it. My mom said I was awful so they had to put me on a goats milk based formula. She wasn't bad mom I was a picky baby. :) I know a couple of other new moms that had the same problem and the lactose was the root of the problems.

It helps Ethan sleep better when we swaddle nice and tight too so he can't get his hands out. He likes that a lot and sleeps alot better. :)

CJ said...

Hey! Your son is so cute! Remember to add my new blog, My So Called Life with Twins. The link is on Pink's life. Hope all is well!