Monday, March 15, 2010

300 Words: Using Labels

I'm not comfortable with labels, at least as far as people are concerned. I don't think that you can define a person with one word, or even several. Life is too dynamic. There is only one way I like to describe myself: Me.

My life has had its ups and downs, heartaches and tragedies, laughter and success. But no single event or instance defines me. They have brought me to the point at which I am at today. They brought me here to this moment in time, where I am wife to this man and mother to this boy. They led me to be this woman with this job in this state with these hobbies. I am this woman with these fears, these dreams and hopes. And most likely, new experiences will alter this person that I am, be it slightly or greatly. I am ME.

If there is one thing I want my son to learn, that I want people to know is that you can't label people. You can't find one word that truly captures the essence of a person and expect it to truly fit. You can't label people like you label a folder or a box for organization. You have to learn the beauty of that person and then you can only label them as individuals.

Your life will most undoubtedly be enriched if you look past the labels people are given and don't give them yourself.

I want people to be appreciated for everything they are, every person they are. People are so unique and there is so much to learn from each person that comes into your life. Take no moment for granted, and appreciate what each person has to offer. Don't see just one aspect of them, but every one that you can.

*************
Note: This post was written for
Mabel's Labels BlogHer '10 Contest as response to the hypothetical situation of an electrical storm wiping out the internet and what I would want to say to the blogosphere in 300 words or less.

No comments: