Tuesday, February 15, 2011

10 Things I Love About You

When you have been together for as long as I have been with my husband, things fall into routine. We are going on 13 years together, 6 married. This past Valentine's Day was our 13th together. And you know, it's easy to see why this day has become a Hallmark, exploited holiday. But again, that's true of any holiday, I guess. Point being, we are busy. We are comfortable. We know the other person very well.

It's easy to go to the jewelry store, to the florist. I don't disagree with the traditional Valentine gifts (definitely NOT with diamonds. Those are suitable gifts for ANY occassion).

This year we decided to try something different. It's going to be an expensive year for us, with the move, a new home, new jobs. We don't have extra money to feed into Valentine's gifts. We agreed that instead of traditional gifts, we would each write a list of 10 things we loved about the other person to keep in our wallets.

It was an easy list to write. There are more than 10 things I love about my husband.

IT WAS THE BEST GIFT I COULD HAVE IMAGINED.

I have read the list he gave me about 20 times since last evening. It makes me cry. I know he loves me. I know he knows me. But let me tell you, this man KNOWS me and LOVES me.

And he made dinner, a similar dinner to the one he made for me on our first Valentine's Day. It was so delicious. He gave Isaac a bath. I cleaned up the kitchen and made his favorite Monster Cookies with red, pink, and white M&Ms.

I took a looooooooong bubble bath, like the ones I used to take before Isaac was born. With wine. And Grey's Anatomy on my laptop.

We all cuddled on the couch and watched TV together. And after Isaac fell asleep, he and I laid on the bed in darkness and talked for an hour.

It was the most perfect day ever. And it didn't cost us anything. I felt loved and appreciated as a wife and mother. I couldn't have asked for anything more.  

No comments: